Tuesday, April 03, 2007

New Horizons at Jupiter

I am an avid blog reader and one of my favorites is the Bad Astronomy Blog by Phil Platt (I've even used his Q and BA podcasts in my astronomy units with my students). I wake up today and there is a fantastic photo from the New Horizons spacecraft of Io and Europa orbiting around Jupiter while the craft was on its way to Pluto in 2015. The views are just stunning. You can see a huge volcanic plume near the north pole of Io and a crescent shape to Europa. Now, neither Phil or I can take credit for this picture as it comes from the Planetary Society web site and there is where you can find the best explanation of what it is you are looking at. I also invite you to go to the Planetary Society website and look around. Though I have let my membership lapse (oops.... my bad) I visit it quite often... I don't think you will find a better place for planetary astronomy on the web.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home