Friday, January 04, 2008

Resolutions and Theremins


• So as I am starting my new year, I am using some new ways to post my bogs here on blogger.com by using a hopefully useful little Firefox add-on named ScribeFire. Let's hope I can used to all the bells and whistles this thing has and how to use it effectively. I have put on several add-ons that have so far proven their worth, here's hoping this one does as well.

• It's raining and the wind is howling. Not as bad as it was earlier this morning but 20 to 40 mph winds are still nothing to sneeze at. I am kinda stuck at home hunkering down with my dog and considering my new year's resolutions. Some will seem pretty standard such as getting back into shape (but in my case it's been about a year and a half since I tore 2 muscles in my back and I will have to get them back into some working order before going back to the dojo) but others are more inspired and inspiring. I have been a somewhat musician since I was 8 and have practiced mostly keyboards and violin. This last year I discovered the 'Theremin.' Invented in 1919 by Leon Theremin from Russia, it is the first known musical instrument but is unusual in that you don't touch the instrument when you play it. The most famous player is Clara Rockmore who invented the manner in which to play the instrument and helped Theremin improve the design of the instrument to make it more useful to those playing it. I have fallen in love with the thing.... it sounds like some otherworldly voice and with the addition of other effect from pedal sources, it has great potential. I want one... I want to learn how to play one... I want to perform with one. OK, that's resolution #1. Here is an example of what it can do:




• Resolution #2: for the longest time I have wanted to be able to find and play a Lyricon. It is a Wind MIDI device that was used very effectively by the new age group Shadowfax and I just love the sound of the thing:



And so I have resolved to get another instrument... but the Lyricon, unfortunately is no longer manufactured. What do I do? I research and find the equivalent today which can do even more - The Yamaha WX5 Wind MIDI Controller:



To play it also requires a VL70-m Virtual Acoustic Tone Generator or some other MIDI controllable tone generator, but at least I can get them both from Guitar City and Skips music has one in stock right now. Now comes resolution #3....

• Resolution #3 - I will get a MIDI keyboard that works with GarageBand on the iMac and start to produce my own music that I have sat on for almost 40 years, record it, perform it, and then start to sell my own music (I think I'll need a copyright lawyer to help me). OK! So my mony for the year is now spoken for... hmmmm.

Technorati Tags: ,

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home