Saturday, October 28, 2006

Pareidolia and Human Idiocy


Let me take my readers, skeptics and non-skeptics alike, on a trip to the wikipedia (don't worry, as a science editor for the Wiki group, I have checked this out):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Now, after reading this article, is it any wonder that people seem to see dragons in clouds and faces in clocks and the like. What upsets me is what upsets most scientists such a the Bad Astronomer:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bablog/2006/10/27/pareidolia-rocks/

Now I think it's cool that the geological formation seems to be rocking out to an iPod that just happens to be off screen... but please, people, don't go there!!! The notion that it is anything else but a cool coinkidink is beyond stupid. This is the same phenomenon that drives people to think that they have seen the Virgin Mary in a rust stain on a grave stone or a picture of Jesus of Nazareth on a wall. It makes me just shake my head and walk down the road muttering to myself about idiots breeding when people refuse to use their logical facalties to see the world for what it really is. If you want to see "magic" then grab a microscope or a telescope or a pair of binoculars and go out into the world rather than living in a prayer induced brain-freeze. To quote Shakespear:

"There is more under heaven and earth, Horatio, than is dream't of in your philosophy..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home