Monday, April 02, 2012

Innovation in Education

While reading the book "Imagine" by Jonah Lehrer, I started reading the chapter on 3M and it's innovative style. The method they use produces a 1:1 ratio of innovation to employees which I find astounding. Can this method be brought to an institution like Joseph Kerr School? I think the answer is 'yes' but the means will butt up against the structure of the institution itself. I wonder how many of the teachers and other employees at my sight could handle such free time to innovate? Would they relax and brainstorm or would they use the time to grade papers instead?


I keep butting up against the phrase my friend Dean said about change in education; that it changes at a glacial pace. Does that mean that you don't challenge the powers that be and merely accept that nothing will change? Or do you find another avenue for education to innovate and make education more relevant to the students we have today? How do we fund the changes that are necessary? What about Education Code?


Granted these are daunting challenges, but I think I see where this takes us. Like my idea that the current SCOTUS arguments on Health Care were poorly thought out ( I would have included the notion in the Preamble to "promote the general welfare" as part of the argument) where I think it will be inevitable that the Court will rule against it and the only alternative will be to make a constitutional amendment, I think the only way to innovate is to go outside the public system to a private one and use it to demonstrate innovation and thus force change by example. I hope I'm wrong... I'll bet I'm not.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home